Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Comfort Zone

This morning I took a spin class at the gym. With the holidays and all, it has been a while since I've stepped foot inside the gym - or as a good friend of mine likes to say when it has been some time since he worked out - "The gym has been closed for renovations." The instructor started off by telling us that we needed to push past our comfort zone in order to get a good workout.

Well, we've all heard that before right? I mean in one form or another - push past your comfort zones, think "outside of the box", etc...and I have accomplished both of those things in spurts and glimpses and moments in my life - but I've yet to accomplish sustaining them for myself on any life changing level. I love a good motivational quote or an uplifting article or book - and I am the all time sucker for old movies where everything turns out "just right" in the end. I'm a dreamer and an optimist and a fabulous cheerleader for people and causes that I believe in...but what I'm finally putting out there is that I haven't done the best job, in my adult life, of being those things for me.

No matter the outcome of the scholarship that I applied for, It's time to do something about that.

"Be not the slave of your own past - plunge into the sublime seas. Dive deep, and swim far, so you shall come back with self-respect, with new power, with an advanced experience, that shall explain and overlook the old." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment